Advocacy Officer ( Maternity Leave Cover)
Save the Children International has an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as the Advocacy Officer (Maternity Leave) for a fixed term contract. To conduct advocacy related to promoting the endorsement and implementation of the Safe Schools Declaration and the Guidelines for Protecting Schools and Universities from Military Use during Armed Conflict.
The Advocacy Officer is responsible to develop and deliver advocacy messages, produce quality products and implement advocacy strategies. He/she supports GCPEA’s advocacy efforts in influencing UN and intergovernmental agenda/policies related to the Safe School Declaration and GCPEA’s implementation activities at national level.
The incumbent also contributes to Save the Children’s efforts to influence and bring about change in the policies and behaviour related to attacks on and military use of schools.
· Master’s degree in a relevant field, in particular international humanitarian and human rights law and/or international relations.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Relevant experience of influencing and advocacy work and sound knowledge of different advocacy tools and resources, and expertise of the protection of education and children;
· Good knowledge of the advocacy/policy environment of the UN and other international organizations in Geneva, particularly the Human Rights Council and OHCHR;
· Good understanding of international humanitarian law, and education and protection in armed conflict. Knowledge of children’s rights key international agreements and conventions;
· Experience in organising and conducting field visits, including coordination with partners on the ground and managing logistics;
· Experience of external representation and effective relationship building at a senior level and a consultative, collaborative approach will be essential;
· Ability to produce a variety of written and visual communications products in a clear, concise style and to deliver oral presentations to various audiences;
· Excellent analytical and conceptual skills;
· Excellent planning, and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities;
· A proven ability to work in a professional manner in a multilingual, multifaceted, international setting with limited supervision and a willingness to learn new skills;
· Strong sense of responsibility coupled with teamwork skills;
· Excellent spoken and written communication skills;
· Fluency in English (spoken and written) required, with a working knowledge of French, Spanish, and/or Arabic desirable;
· Commitment to Save the Children values;
· Computer skills including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Ability to maintain simple websites;
· The right to live and work in Geneva – a valid Swiss work permit is required.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector with an option of flexible of working hours
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Date advertised: 17 Dec 2020
Closing date: 26 Jan 2021 - 02:59 EAT
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Department: Advocacy, Campaigns and Policy
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Part-time