Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in the country program; or are visiting project areas where contacts with children are mandatory.
The Chief of Party is responsible for the overall coordination and management of all programmatic and financial aspects of the TB/HIV Tanzania grant in accordance with approved documents. S/he has the responsibility to develop detailed work plans and other technical documents, supervision of the execution of activities, administrative, financial and technical overall oversight. The Chief of Party manages the Global Fund grant management unit and ensures coordination and communication with the various stakeholders involved in the implementation of the program: TNCM (Tanzania National Coordinating Mechanism), the Global Fund Secretariat through its Fund Portfolio Manager (FPM), the Local Fund Agent (LFA) , the Ministry of Finance, the MOHSW through its Program Coordinating Unit, the National TB Control Program, The National AIDS Control Program, The Ministry of Health, and SC US as strategic technical unit in the implementation of the grant.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Country Director
Dimensions: Global Fund funded HIV/TB Project, with considerable interaction with other Save the Children Tanzania teams
Number of direct reports: 3 - MEAL Manager, TB/HIV Specialist, Finance & Awards Specialist
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Leadership and Technical Guidance to Ensure High Quality Program is Delivered and Targets are Met (45%)
- The Global Fund TB/HIV grant’s annual program budget is developed to high quality and its execution monitored on an ongoing basis.
- Implementation plans adequately prepared and on time.
- Ensuring that the relevant technical capacity is available for the delivery of the plans.
- The programs implemented are at the best quality with the most competitive costs; they respond to nationally and globally recognized standards as well as to SC and Global Fund’s own.
- Reporting on progress to the CMT and GFATM over the duration of the implementation of the grant and make recommendations for management decisions concerning programs.
- Partners’ capacity is built and performance is monitored on an ongoing basis.
- Work closely with the LFA and be attentive to respecting the recommendations adopted by mutual agreement.
- Ensure active working relationship with the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, the National TB Control Program as well as National HIV/AIDS Control Program
- Assist the Country Director in communication with the LCM and any other technical partners.
- Ensure effective working relationships with the various departments of SC Tanzania.
M&E and Research (15%)
- Ensuring that the achievement of all targeted results based on contractual agreement between SC and Global Fund.
- Work closely with the Sub-recipient partners and co-Prime Recipient (MOF) to ensure that the expected results are provided in a timely manner.
- Ensure coordination and communication with the various stakeholders involved in the implementation of the project.
- Submit progress reports (PUDR, EFR, annual report) to the Global Fund in a timely manner, incorporating feedback from field offices as well as SC US.
- Submit detailed quarterly narrative progress reports to update senior management within SC prior to presentation to the TNCM.
- Lead program innovation and scaling-up measures.
- Support program directly by ensuring technical support through training, mentoring and guidance.
- Facilitate the establishment and implementation of optimal standards of accountability, effectiveness and efficiency in the achievement of the Global Fund program framework.
Financial and Grant Management, Budget Control (20%)
- Ensure internal business planning in accordance with the work plan with the Global Fund, LFA, Sub Recipients and other partners involved in the fight against TB/HIV.
- Analyze requests for disbursements from the Sub recipients to ensure their compliance with the outcomes of the project.
- Approve requests for disbursement and ensure that they are conducted in a timely manner to beneficiaries in accordance with project objectives.
- Ensure that projects are executed by sub-recipients according to the work plans and budgets and in accordance with the guidelines and Global Fund project procedures manual.
- Ensure compliance and consistency of delivery of reports and financial management by the Sub Recipients.
- Ensure the planning and implementation of capacity building from the results of the capacity assessment of sub recipients in order to enhance their capabilities in the areas identified by the diagnostic approach.
Human Resources Management and Development (20%)
- Individual and team performance is professionally managed and meets SC’s standards and procedures.
- A performing and highly motivated Global Fund TB/HIV Program team is sustained with clear objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and personal objective setting following SC best practice standards.
- Team and Individual support and development needs identified and met for improved performance.
- Team fulfillment of SC’s core policies including Child Safeguarding Policy; Safety and Security, Code of conduct, Fraud and Anti-Bribery Policy, etc.
- Perform the updates needed related to the capacity building plans of sub-recipients.
- Supervise and manage the Program Management Unit.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrable progressive senior responsibilities working in project/program development and implementation, management, and strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation, team and office management or related field, with proven experience (3-5 years) in a senior management position. Work experience particularly in community health systems strengthening is desirable.
- Master’s Degree in public health or equivalent experience. Advanced degree preferred, most preferably a medical degree. Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in development project management, design, implementation of Health and HIV/AIDS programs in developing countries.
- Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications for community development, particularly in public health.
- In depth knowledge of matters related to TB/HIV program, and strategies to influence policies in these domains.
- Extensive experience in management or administration of health projects, especially TB/HIV programs and dealing with international partners (Global Fund, USAID, WHO, UNICEF, UNAIDS, WB, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience as a development professional in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programs and managing technical support staff, consultants etc.
- Knowledge of effective participatory M&E systems, strategic planning processes, and financial management systems.
- Previous hands-on experience with managing Global Fund grants considered an advantage.
Specific skills for this position
- Ability to develop and monitor a dynamic partnership with organizations of civil society and decentralized government agencies and services.
- Be able to use and interpret a complex set of information for decision making.
- Ability to prepare reports, perform strategic program analysis, briefing notes and prospective short-and medium-term management plans.
- Be able to take responsibility, make decisions and monitor their execution in a timely manner.
- Have a demonstrated ability to work with autonomy, while recognizing the importance of flagging key or strategic issues to line management and/or senior leadership team..
- Have strong experience in coaching, training supervision and counseling.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, with strong presentation skills
- Have proficiency in the use of computer tools (word processing, databases, Internet / Intranet).
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Spoken and written Kiswahili is an added advantage.
- Demonstrates clear respect to all and especially children and women without discrimination.
- Strongly drives performance forward in area of the business for which s/he is responsible.
- Involves others in setting and achieving goals.
- Creates strong sense of purpose within own part of the business and with stakeholders.
- Demonstrates honesty and transparency in holding self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and SC’s standards of behavior
- Makes a strong contribution to wider strategy.
- Balances future vision with practical delivery.
- Cross culturally adept.
- Acts as a team player, willing to get the best outcome overall, adjusting own priorities if necessary.
- Creates and delivers outcomes in complex partnerships, keeping key stakeholders on board.
- Sets a strong learning culture in the project/program s/he is managing.
- Uses opportunities across SC to develop others.
- Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult or complex situations.
- Sense of initiative.
- Ability to produce quality results in a timely manner.
- Good capacity to prevent and solve problems and potential conflicts.