Deputy Chief of Party/Finance and Operations
Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Save the Children is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party/Finance and Operations for an upcoming USAID-funded opportunity titled, Multi-Sectoral Nutrition Activity in Tanzania. This five-year program will be focused on improving the nutritional status of children and pregnant and lactating women in Tanzania. In addition, the staff will also work closely to support the government of Tanzania and local NGOs working at the district, ward, facility, and community levels to improve nutrition-related behaviors within households by promoting evidence-based nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive interventions
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Save the Children has been operational in Tanzania since 1986 providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered in support of Government of Tanzania priorities and policies both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, nutrition, HIV/TB and emergency response. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined programmes of SCUK, SCUS, SC Sweden to create a single operation in Tanzania. We currently have an operational presence in Dodoma, Shinyanga, Zanzibar, Songwe, Kigoma and Dar es Salaam and we work through partners in other parts of the country. We employ nearly 100 staff and have an annual operating budget of approximately $12 million.
Reports to: Chief of Party
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
This position is responsible for the overall financial and operational management of the project. S/he is responsible for ensuring that USAID requirements for budget planning, monitoring, and reporting are fully met in a timely manner, and the establishment and management of operational and administrative systems. This requires close liaison with the finance and technical planning departments of all partners and program staff, Save the Children, and USAID.
The position will be a member of the Senior Management Team. S/he will advise the COP concerning relevant issues within or external to the project, including financial, personnel, administrative and security. In addition to necessary financial and administrative skills, this position requires someone with initiative, who is well-organized, can handle pressure and deadlines, work in complex and conflict-affected areas, is capable of training and supervising staff, and has strong computer skills.
- Review and consolidate monthly financial reports to ensure accuracy and to provide regular feedback to senior management;
- Ensure all financial plans, invoices, reports, and other financial documents and transactions are accurate, timely, and consistent with Save the Children and USAID guidelines and regulations;
- Prepare and monitor budgets to ascertain that spending occurs as planned and that variances are anticipated, noted, and corrected; ensure that key program personnel are aware of budgetary resources and are able to monitor their budgets respectively;
- Prepare quarterly reports, consolidated annual fiscal report, cumulative life of project report, and any other required donor submissions;
- Verify that appropriate segregation of duties exists to ensure effective support of field operations and to protect the integrity of the country office finance and administrative operations;
- Perform financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders, and payment requests to ensure compliance with Save the Children’s policies and procedures and donors grant requirements;
- Oversee sub grant monitoring and compliance including organizational assessments, review of financial reports/ advance requests, and financial tracking; develop sub grant monitoring plans; perform and document compliance visits;
- Supervise the finance and operations staff including performance evaluation and revising job descriptions as necessary. Develop the capacity of the team and facilitate their professional growth;
- Prepare and revise finance and operation guidelines in order that they adhere to Save the Children and donor requirements;
- Encourage a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE