Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Save the Children seeks a Finance Director for the anticipated USAID-funded Multi-sectoral Nutrition Activity in Tanzania to be responsible for overseeing all aspects of financial and administrative management and compliance, as well as other operational duties. Reporting to the Chief of Party (COP) s/he will provide day-to-day financial technical assistance to the COP for the administration of the grant. S/he will ensure strict adherences to financial regulations and grant compliance requirements during the implementation of the grant. S/he will manage the implementation of accounting systems, budgeting, expenditure tracking, and financial reporting for both the prime recipient and any sub-awards. S/he will also oversee grant management and reporting on financial program performance as well as provide financial and technical management to ensure the best use of resources by preparing sound budgets, monitoring project expenses, and ensuring timely preparation of donor financial reports.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Save the Children has been operational in Tanzania since 1986 providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered in support of Government of Tanzania priorities and policies both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, nutrition, HIV/TB and emergency response. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined programmes of SCUK, SCUS, SC Sweden to create a single operation in Tanzania. We currently have an operational presence in Dodoma, Shinyanga, Zanzibar, Songwe, Kigoma and Dar es Salaam and we work through partners in other parts of the country. We employ nearly 100 staff and have an annual operating budget of approximately $12 million.
Reports to: Chief of Party
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Monitor budgets to ensure that spending occurs as planned and that variances are anticipated, noted, and corrected; ensure that key program personnel are aware of budgetary resources and are able to monitor their budgets respectively.
- Ensure all financial plans, invoices, reports, and other documents are accurate, timely, and consistent with agency and USAID guidelines and regulations.
- In close coordination with the finance staff, maintain and update all the financial documents (reports, plans) and ensure confidentiality of project financial information.
- Review and consolidation of monthly financial reports for distribution to senior management.
- Review and consolidation of monthly sub-office accounts and reports to ensure accuracy and to provide regular feedback to the senior leadership team.
- Work with regional SCI Project Managers and Operations Managers to ensure the project is implemented as planned and with sound program quality.
- Prepare any budget revisions and projections and respond to any questions.
- Confirm availability of funds for all requests for payment or charges to grants. Monitor burn rates and advice on spend projections.
- Prepare quarterly reports, projections, and any other required donor submissions.
- Prepare a consolidated annual fiscal report, including a cumulative life of project report.
- Ensure that an appropriate segregation of duties exists for effective support of field operations and to protect the integrity of the country office finance and administrative operations.
- Prepare and revise finance and operation guidelines in order that they adhere to SC requirements.
- Ensure compliance with contractual obligations and deliverables in line with USAID regulations and SC policies and procedures.
- Manage the reporting component of the award and oversee other administrative duties as needed.
- Actively participate in all award specific audit and donor assessments.
- Assist in the training, coaching and development of financial skills in non-accounting staff, particularly budget holders for budget and compliance matters.
- Work closely with country finance director to ensure smooth month end process i.e. ensuring monthly financial reports are up to date with regards to project financial status.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE