Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Save the Children seeks a Nutrition Advisor for the anticipated USAID-funded Multi-sectoral Nutrition Activity in Tanzania. The Nutrition Advisor will be responsible for strategic planning, coordination, and technical implementation of innovative integrated nutrition and social behaviour change communication (SBCC) activities in the target areas. This senior-level nutrition and SBCC technical expert will build capacity of local staff in SBCC and nutrition throughout project design and implementation. The Nutrition Advisor will also work closely with the monitoring and evaluation specialist to ensure progress is being achieved towards nutrition targets. S/he will establish and maintain close and effective liaison with project and government partners to facilitate flow of information concerning research, policies, government strategic plans/guidelines program progress and to stay abreast of current trends including participation in relevant nutrition working groups and policy fora.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Save the Children has been operational in Tanzania since 1986 providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered in support of Government of Tanzania priorities and policies both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, nutrition, HIV/TB and emergency response. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined programmes of SCUK, SCUS, SC Sweden to create a single operation in Tanzania. We currently have an operational presence in Dodoma, Shinyanga, Zanzibar, Songwe, Kigoma and Dar es Salaam and we work through partners in other parts of the country. We employ nearly 100 staff and have an annual operating budget of approximately $12 million.
Reports to: Chief of Party
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Provide senior-level technical support for the overall integrated, cross-cutting strategic approach of the project including nutrition, food security, gender mainstreaming, and SBCC.
- Lead the overall implementation of the integrated nutrition specific and sensitive activities in collaboration with Ministry of Health, Regional/Council health management team and project implementing partners.
- Provide all nutrition and quality improvement technical support to project staff, implementing partners, districts, health facilities and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in nutrition technical working groups and other relevant policy foras.
- Ensure project implementation is aligned with government policies and strategic plans and guidelines.
- Lead/oversee the development and ensure availability of technical resource materials, guidelines, training manuals, ASBCC tools and job aids as necessary.
- Provide support to LGAs (Regional and district nutrition officers) during planning, budgeting and monitoring of nutrition interventions.
- Lead development of project annual work plans, reports as well as documentation of lessons learns and best practices.
- Work with M&E specialist to oversee and coordinate formative and evaluative research using participatory methodologies to build local capacity and to design high impact interventions based on the social and cultural context in target areas.
- Based on research findings and stakeholder consultations, coordinate with the technical team to lead the development of evidence-based nutrition and SBCC tools and materials.
- Provide technical oversight for the design, development, and implementation of all nutrition and SBCC tools and training materials in collaboration with government and relevant stakeholders to maintain a quality and consistent approach across all target areas and technical interventions.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE